6/15/08

Happy Father's Day!!






Well, our day started with my getting a text.....in Russian, from Galena/Galya. She asked if we could go to Battery Park by the camp and meet them. This way we could spend time with her, unofficially. She seems to have gained understanding about our adopting her and that we do want her....but couldn't take her on outings because of paperwork! She had fun with the boys and we spent some time at the park looking at tanks, trains, planes and the kids took a horse ride...some of the kids, and Lena...our translator! We were able to spend some time sight seeing today, but Galya did not go because she has an exam to study for....what a good sign that she is commited to her education and disciplined! So we had lunch at a cafe...Ukrainian food. Me, being the picky eater, was the only one who wasn't happy with my meat. That's ok....I eat enough bread to make up for it!

We went to Deribvoskaya (totally wrong spelling!!!!) Street, the port of Odessa, and Potempkin Stairs. David bet with all the kids he could beat them in a race up 192 stairs with Levi on his back......he lost to all the kids and had to give them each 10 gryvna! The boys chose that over dollars....David is lucky they don't understand the conversion rate and only ended up with $2 each! Lena and I ate ice cream and walked up the stairs! The girls picked up some souvenirs as did the boys. The boys are being such troopers....I know I say it every day, but they are amazing!

Spoke with Gary _________ (can't remember last name) who is adopting. They are not having a smooth adoption....hoping that our's goes better and cheaper!!

Tomorrow we will be able to do some adoption stuff, but nothing with officials. Tuesday, it's back to running from office to office to office...getting the run around, giving "donations", and hopefully seeing the girls!

We also experienced the Odessa public transportation train today...much cheaper than bus, but you have to be more cautious of pick pockets. Some guy was eye balling Lena's purse, but David saw him. The guy then got kicked off for not paying the fare.

I hope David had a good father's day....he doubled his kids today!!!

We miss everyone and can't wait to get home. Will hopefully have a better idea of a time line once the week of business starts back on tuesday!!

6 comments:

Eyepoke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Hey, I forgot about this blog until yesterday at church when Dana told us you were trying to adopt 3 girls, wow.

It seems your trip is going relatively smooth, hope that everything works out for you guys.

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Hi, I just recently found your blog. We've been home for two months now with our 12yo daughter adopted from the Lugansk region. She has adjusted amazingly well.

I just wanted you to know that we are praying for you.

June

dana said...

I am a bit confused on who is who...who is Galena/Lena? Is she the translator or one of the girls you are adopting? Or is the third girl Anya? How old are the girls? I love seeing the pictures and being able to know what you are doing. I hope all went smoothly today for you and will continue to.

Kellett Family Blog said...

Galena: our facilitator
Galena/Galya: one of the girls
Lena: translator
Anya: Yana's sister
Yana: one of our girls
Vita: well, you all know Vita!

Clear as mud??? For us too!

Pam DeFrees said...

Hi guys,
I just found your blog and have been reading it. I met you this past summer and I think I met you on this day (Father's Day) when you were walking around down town. I was there on a mission trip from San Antonio Christian school and I already knew the girls from the other trips I had been too previously. We also saw your husand and the kids at Mc Donalds after that and then again at Camp Victoria. I am looking forward to going back again this summer. What is the lastest with your adoption?
I'll keep you in my prayers. Please tell Vita and Yana pryvyet for Pam! : )
www.PassionForUkraine.com