7/19/05

Stalin's Revenge

Yup...woke up with Stalin's revenge. I have now ventured into a Ukrainian pharmacy and trusted whatever it is I took. Must be a keeper because the only thing on the go were my legs!! We went to the orphanage and talked to the director...who will not let Vita sleep over....understandable, but worth a try! We spent most of the morning with the cardiologist...who rewrote her notes because the orphanage nurse lost the results. The results: Vita has a little high blood pressure, no heart problems, can fly without concern, needs some medicine (which I will buy tomorrow!). The doctor also let me listen to Vita's heart...perfect! The doctor said Vita is very lucky to have a nurse for a mom and that wants to give her a better life in America. It's unfortunate that not all Ukrainians feel that way. With the recent death of the Russian adoptee in the US, who has an adopted Ukrainian sister, people are skeptical. The Ukrainian press has been reporting on the little girl who was beaten to death by her US mom. Sad story, but I'm sure kids everywhere are beaten/killed by their parents. Not making it right, by any means...but other kids are not given a chance as a result.

OK....enough of that!

After the doctor we went to the old part of Odessa and shopped for souvenirs. Mostly crap...hard pressed to find good things....David will be happy to know it wasn't a big shop fest. More painful than anything!! Had lunch at a "steakhouse"... I had chicken stir fry. We worked on Vita's table manners: chew with mouth closed, wipe mouth, cut food like this....don't pick the whole thing up with your fork. It's fun... she watched every move Ira and I made to see how to do things....use which piece of silver ware, how to cut bread and use the bread plate. I'm sure that table manners are the least of the worries to workers supervising a few hundred kids!

Hung out at the camp with the kids as they had mock olympics and got medals. Pretty fun stuff!!! The kids all ask if I am coming back tomorrow...I love all the hugs and air kisses on the cheek!!!! David...make the house bigger....I have a few more picked out!!!

Still no luggage....I called about 6 times today...I might have to learn to curse in Russian!!

Tomorrow we will visit Babushka Nina and do some odds and ends....have yet to make it to the Black Sea...which I hear is nasty! None the less....I want to at least stick my toe in the water!!!

Das vadania!

1 comment:

Dana said...

Angie,

Your luggage will probably come just in time for it to miss the flight home! Hopefully, it will come sooon for you! I am glad you are having a good time with Vita. So much to learn! How exciting! I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Dana Collum