7/17/05

Blog deficient....

Ok...so yesterday I posted a comment instead of a blog....I'm slow. So...read the comment!

Vita is an amazing girl... so much energy!! She is learning some English...and I am trying Russian. We did glamor shots Ukrainian style today, went to the zoo, amusement park, mall, "Relax" cafe, and hung out at the hotel so she could shower....for about 30 minutes!! I can tell she is a Kellett...she ate a huge plate of mashed potatoes and corn for lunch! She loves to draw (and is good), sing, and is learning to play guitar. She loves roller coasters....if you want a thrill, ride a Ukrainian roller coaster sometime!! Safety concerns to be left at home!! Oh...and she rode a camel....and thought it was cool, until the camel peed all over the place!

My first trip to Ukraine I hated it here. This trip I am getting to see much more culture and have fun. Not to mention that Odessa is a world away from Kharkiv/Kyiv...like California compared to Detroit. I am in California!

I was able to spend a little time at the camp tonight. Tomorrow I will be there all day and go to the water park with the kids. If my bag ever makes it...I will give people their gifts!

Vita does have health problems with her heart. She doesn't notice it at all....but Babushka said the doctor said it makes a funny sound. How's that for a diagnosis?? We will go to the pediatric cardioligist this week and dentist...probably not Vita's idea of fun! Don't want to be a Disney mom!! Luckily my WONDERFUL translator's parents are doctors...so I get good referrals! Vita has also had bronchitis. So it does make sense that the director was nervous about sending her to the US.

The kids like summer camp....the food is better there than the orphanage. They go to the beach every day, have a disco at night, talent shows, sports, and the team from the US do bible school in the mornings!

The weather here is much like home...humid. It gets cooler here at night tho. I am getting comfortable with public transportation...it's like hitchhiking, and everyone is a taxi if it means making a few bucks! The busses are the greatest though! It's easy to see why most Ukrainians are so thin...you get more on a bus that way and they walk ALOT!! I am walking more here than I am use to...but I sleep good at night!

It was great meeting Vita's babushka Nina. We will go visit her at home this week. She thanked us for taking care of Vita and said she will be able to die with a clear conscious now knowing that Vita's future is secure. I assured her that she will be able to talk to Vita and exchange letters when Vita comes to the US. We also talked about her sister Olyia who is a year older than Vita. And her brother who now lives in Moldova with his wife and child.

It's hard to stop typing when internet is only $1/hour!! one more quick note...the mall is like a Ukrainian walmart....many floors/departments...only you pay in each department! The security guards randomly ask to see your receipts as proof you paid for stuff. It was funny to me! I was able to buy all 5 Harry Potter books for about $35...hardback!!! I also bought the Mr and Mrs Smith DVD for $5...bootleg, I'm sure!
OK OK>>>>> I'll shut up now!!

Das vadania!

No comments: