10/26/08

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly......

Well, there's a lot to blog, but not sure where to stop and start!

The girls seem to be going through a cycle that I'm sure is common with adoption. The honeymoon phase.....done. Vacation clothes: put away. Tan:gone. Shiny: worn off. Reality: here.


There seems to be an expectation of adoptees that they are issued certain things when they land in America. i-Pod, cell phone, Internet in bedroom, cable in bedroom, the school should look as pristine as the one in High School Musical, music coming from the loud speakers, and Troy dancing down the hall with all of his hot friends in tow. Don't get me wrong, the kids NEED alot when they get here....but there is a blurry line between need/want (I think this is true of all teens....?) I would like to take this time to thank Hollywood for sending out a very skewed idea of what life as a teen is like in most of America. Perhaps if Senator Obama gets elected, he can take these items from the Willis, Pitt, Cruise, and Madonna's children and give to my children...as it would only be fair! I digress......

Vita is struggling making friends....as I think is normal for anyone starting a new high school...the language barrier can only hurt. We are trying to get her involved in stuff and try to be more outgoing...but I'm sure a small town school is not so in to opening their cliques. Her sparkle has faded since the first of the year...but we hope it will come back soon. The struggle is Vita's confidence and expressive English confuse the teachers....they think she is more capable than she lets on, so they have higher expectations than she can meet. And she gets frustrated. Hopes: parent teacher conferences this week....

Yana has made alot of friends...but none she sees/talks to outside of school. Oddly, she thinks she needs a cell phone so she can text them at school. That's a different blog!! Her teachers are more willing to be flexible and understanding of her limitations...so her school year is going quite well! Yana struggles with authority at times and I think she also has a hard time figuring out how to be a part of a family. Families are tough enough...but to not be a part of one, try fit into an existing one, and maintain sanity...we are asking alot of Yana!! Vita had visited us 3 times and pretty much had an idea of what to expect and how things work...I think she has tried to tell Yana....but sometimes you have to learn things on your own!

OH...we have some boys too!!

Levi...our little 4 year old is doing great! He loves preschool and is such a big boy. His Grammy and I already are getting teary eyed over his going to kindergarten next fall....he is the last of the last and we need him. I hope he is sad too!!!

Noah...borders on the perfect child....with exception to his sneakiness and mean streak! He loves to learn and is full of questions! (I never thought I would hope my kid wasn't so smart!!!) He has become bored with 1st grade and his favorite day is the day of the week when he goes to his gifted classroom. We are now advocating for him to skip a grade...no one in the district has ever done this, so we are not hopeful. However, I can be assertive when it comes to my kids!

Jakob....is getting ready to have an interesting week!! We are going to try to do a gluten/casein/soy free diet for a one week trial to see if it helps with his autism. Half of me hopes it doesn't work....so he can eat all the things he loves (chocolate...pop tarts...cereal with REAL milk....ice cream...cheese...yogurt) The other half hopes it does work so he can get off all the meds, do better in school, be happy, feel like he fits in, make friends, and just be able to have the same advantages as other kids.

Last Friday we went to the Department of Homeland Security, United States Citizenship and Immigration Services for the girls to take their oaths, sign their citizenship papers, and confuse the federal employee. I felt sorry for him....but more sorry for us!! It may have been his first day. He may not be accustomed to English speaking customers. IDK. But we mustered through and only have a few more things to do to wrap up the adoption process!! We will get the girls registered with the Ukrainian Embassy and then get US passports and change their status with social security so they can get jobs!! hahahaha!!!!!

I think our adoption days are over for awhile. Five is overwhelming...for me. David is not a type A person like me.....I hope to mellow soon or at least reach a level of insanity where it doesn't matter any more!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Blogs.....
I believe you all are doing many great and grand things with your lives. I believe things will only get better.... God bless you all for all you do!!!